Saturday, November 19, 2011

When Art Speaks THROUGH You


I'd like to tell you a about a little secret of mine.  My paintings speak THROUGH my soul.  I suppose that's what you call a form of meditation.  When all else is quiet and one is still, then the voice of the soul can be heard.  Well, I suppose I never really afford mine the quiet time it deserves so it finds the best outlet and that is through my art.  
I really came to understand that concept through this encaustic painting of a half of a skull.  I painted in  a workshop where the group was painting rather conservative, contemporary paintings in the fashion that speaks to them.  My soul was SCREAMING at me!  Step out of the safe-zone!  When I started I had no idea that a giant 3-D skull head was going to be placed atop of a pretty significant background.  The  words on the back are DANGER- High Voltage!  A sign I took it of the "risk" I felt I was taking.  Behind the skull is a fire hydrant - a definite note of reassurance that the fire could be put out and all would be fine.  And lastly, directly under the skull ( you can still see inside) is an eye chart - this skull has no eyes but has 20/20 vision - to me a confirmation to BELIEVE in the unseen and to trust my instincts.  The painting did not come together easily.  Infact, at several times in the day I was tempted to "accidentally drop it on the floor" and then claim that there was no use in trying to finish such a ruined piece.  No, my soul was urging me to move forward offering encouragement through drive in the curiosity of what could be a fantastic result.  I HAD TO GO ON.  
I did persevere and I LOVED it.  I wanted to kiss someone!  I wanted to thank someone! I was over the moon with pride and joy!  I looked around at the "somewhat shocked" faces, and realized it was probably more than any one could understand, this conversation I had with my soul - which to me was the most beautiful thing in the world.  What a gift that day was!
The next time you create, I urge you to listen to the suggestions being whispered in the background.  You may surprise yourself to realize that your soul has some pretty profound ideas.

No comments:

Post a Comment